How to Make International Egusi Soup (Egusilistic Soup)


I promised you that I was going to teach you the ultimate step by step international egusi soup, right?

Today is the day. Go sip some water, come back let's start the journey of the best egusi soup recipe ever known internationally.
It is packed full of different flavours from Stock fish, smoked chicken, beef, basil and crayfish.
Kpomo and shaki too are also representing.
If you want a substitute to bush meat flavour in egusi soup try using smoked chicken rather than smoked turkey. I also added basil and spinach to this sumptuous soup.
And if you crave the soup hot and spicy like mine, then pepper should be plenty.


So if you are still struggling with getting a lumpy Egusi then cook with me as I have an easy way to this even though I don't mind if my Egusi is lumpy or not.
And yes, this will be going down well with PLANTAIN AMALA.
Ingredients:
1.Smoked Chicken:

2. Stock fish sessoned and boiled:

3. Boil the smoked chicken for 20 mins and set aside.

4.
Grilled meat and set aside.
5.
Peppers, long sweet red pepper and onions. You can use any red bell peppers. NO TOMATOES please.
6.
Grounded egusi.
7.
Set peppers to blend
8.
In a pot over heat, add the chicken and stock fish with its juice.
9.
Pour the blended peppers in the meat
10.
Add palm oil straight away.
11.
Add crayfish
12.
Add knorr chicken. Notice I haven't used salt? I didn't at all as my meats are well seasoned.
13.
Sqaush it.
14.
Stir well.
15.
Let it boil/ cook for 25 mins.
16.
Now mix your egusi with a cup of water or stock.
17.
Mix it to a paste.
18.
Now pop it into the microwave.
19.
Start with 30sec and then 4mins.
20.
It will look like this after mins. Don't panic if you don't have the use of microwave. Just make sure your meat sauce has enough juice in it to allow your egusi paste cook freely once its cut in like little balls.
21.
See how the huge lumps are??
Adding onions to your paste also gives you the lumpy effect.
Note: You don't have to fry using this process, just use spoon to cut the egusi in or use your clean hands.
22.
Now pour the egusi in the sauce.
23.
Let it cook for 10mins in the shape it is. Don't break it just yet. And low the heat while you are getting the vegetables ready.
24.
Wash the spinach
25.
Drain and chop.
26.
Transfer to a bowl and add boiling water.
27.
Like so.
28.
Drain immediately and set aside. I add hot water to my spinach to avoid RIVER NIGER in my soups.
29.
Now wash and chop the basil leaves. No need to steam this.
30.
Here is the spinach and fresh basil.
31.
Now add your vegetables into the pot of sizzling egusi.
32.
Now Stir. You will be the one struggling to break this Lumps now lol.
You can also blend in onions to mix grounded egusi for lump sakes and you so don't need to fry it. I have tried several ways even using an egg. This is the BEST way for me if I want lumps.
33.
Off the heat once your vegetables have been in for 5 mins. You don't want to over cook it.
34.
Then you have a beauty there. Now decide what to wack this with.
35.
Off course I chose plantain amala.
36.
After blending my thawed/defrosted green plantain. Now turning over a heat.
37.
Keep turning, low heat if it's too much. I added a bit more water as it was hard and kept turning till my desired texture.
38.
Plantain Amala is set. Time to eat.

Check out for:
What is the secret to making lumpy egusi: here and,
How to smoke the chicken or turkey here, also.