Eegbo and Mackerel in Fried Pepper Sauce - Nigerian Beans and Cornbread Recipe

This meal is called Eegbo not sure what tribe of the Yoruba people it is native to. But it is delicious.

Eegbo is a corn meal made with dried corn that is milled roughly to break the corn kernel and then cooked with a little salt to taste.

It is sometimes served with beans and fried pepper sauce.

Normally you take the corn to a special grinding mill where corn is milled to break it open and the chaff separated from the corn.

However for weeks I've searched for where to mill it as the yam powder mills can't do it neither can the pepper mill.

So today I decided to try using the dry mill of my blender.

My blender is quite strong I must mention.

The result was a hit.

I was even able to save my chaff and soak, I hope to extract the starch in a few days and make ogi with it. I'm so excited.

Did I mention that this is the first time I'm cooking this myself.

My mum cooked it last when I was 8 yrs old.

Ingredients:

Milled Corn

Chopped onions

Salt

Procedure

1. Wash milled corn properly to get rid of loose chaff and excess starch.

2. Pour in a pot and cover with double the amount of water.

It is better you use a pressure pot it cooks faster.

If you don't have a pressure never mind.

3. Allow to the corn to cook till very soft.

4. Add salt to taste. For added favour you can add chopped onions into it.

Serve with pepper sauce or beans or as you prefer.